Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Planning a Road Trip

An unusually cold and wet winter here in Texas has made the first signs of spring particularly welcome this year. Warming temperatures and the increase in sunny days has predicably turned my mind towards the anticipation of another nudist resort season.

While I am exceedingly grateful for the abundance of great nudist resorts and clubs here in my home state, I have become increasingly curious about and interested in sampling the nudist culture outside Texas. As much as I enjoy them, Texas resorts, at least those within convenient weekend travel distance of my home tend to be on the rustic side. I'd really enjoy a chance to experience something a little more upscale. Since I have some free time coming up in the fall of this year, I decided the other day to take advantage of the time by satisfying my curiosity about the nudist culture elsewhere in the country and take the opportunity to visit that upscale resort I've been thinking about.

Two states I think offer me the best chance at finding exactly what I have in mind, Florida and California. Both are about the same distance away so either would be a realistic choice. I can see a number of advantages for visiting either. Honestly, if it were possible for me to visit Terra Cotta Inn in Palm Springs, my decision would be much simpler to make as I'd really love visiting there and meeting the owners, Tom and Mary Clare, in person. While I know them only through correspondence, I have no doubt they are both fine people and I think they are both extremely positive role models for authentic, wholesome nudism and are among the most credible representatives of modern nudist culture. Unfortunately, the resort operates on the couples only model and given that I have yet to find a female nudist travel companion, the dream of visting there continues to elude me.

Palm Springs and California remain on my short list however since there are other excellent nudist resorts located there that do accept singles. Second perhaps only to my yearning to visit Terra Cotta Inn is the Desert Sun Resort. A recent article in N Magazine featuring the resort only added to my eagerness to visit there as well.

Whether I ultimately decide to spend my nude recreation dollars in Florida or California, I plan to travel by car rather than air since another facet of my plan is to take in as many nudist resorts as possible on the way to and from my principle destination. Since I have the entire month of October at my disposal, I can make a lengthy and leisurely road trip of it. In the end perhaps, the availablity of those side visits and how many interesting sites are available will likely determine whether I choose to take Horace Greely's advice to "go west young man" or take the opposite tack by heading east. One more satisfying part of the equation is that whether it's California or Florida, a visit to one of the more famous clothing optional beaches will also be an option since both states have them.

Once a decision has been made and the planning begins, I will endeavor to share the points of interest I will be planning to visit and of course expect this eagerly anticipated fall tour to provide copious fodder for future EN posts.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting trip you're planning. Would make a lovely piece for N magazine. Are you considering submitting it for publication If so please contact me. Nicky Hoffman, N Magazine Editor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicky! Thanks for posting. That's a great idea which I hadn't considered and certainly I will keep notes and offer an article detailing my trip experiences after the road trip. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Desert Sun Resort in Palm Springs and it is a beautiful, safe resort. I have met many wonderful people there and the grounds are immaculate. I can't wait until May when we have planned to go back! My husband and I have been nudist for 10 years.

    ReplyDelete