Sunday, April 18, 2010

Another Fitness Update

Thus far I have managed to lose 10 full pounds since starting my weight reduction program on April 19. I was rather amazed at the noticeable difference between this photograph and the one I posted from April 19 with the article Coexistence of Health and Body Image Issues.

Thus far the 500 calories per day deficit and the moderate exercise regimen I have been following have yield a 2 to 3 pound weight loss each week since I started. This is the first time in my life that I have really made any real effort to lose weight and frankly I have found it to be easier than I imagined it would be. Again, I haven't done anything drastic at all other than eliminate a few things or cut back back on others that previously I just did not realize contained so many calories. I am a third of the way towards my initial goal of losing 30 pounds. Also, my current weight of 196 pounds dropped my Body Mass Index (BMI) below 30 and so I have already gone from obese to merely overweight.

I promise not to be one of those fanatical fitness types, but I can't resist encouraging anyone that might feel they are carrying some extra pounds to consider making a few dietary changes and committing to a regular exercise program. Simply walking a half hour, five days a week produces some pretty surprisingly effective results. Appearance is not the real motivator for me although candidly I am more than a little pleased that my ample belly and "man boobs" have shrunk during the initial weeks. A long family history of heart disease, stroke, hypertension and diabetes and avoiding contracting any of those health problems is what really motivated me to drop some weight. Already I have a great deal more energy and find it much less of an effort to accomplish my daily tasks.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the weight-loss so far. I'm within 7 or 8 pounds of my goal. Like you, my concern is my health, given a family history of diabetes. That my physical appearance has improved and I can now fit into my old jeans is a pleasant side effect.

    I don't believe it takes any kind of special willpower or self-discipline to lose weight. I'm about as lacking in self-discipline as one can get. It's a matter of changing one's attitude and finding the right motivation.

    Unfortunately, prevention doesn't seem to be the American way. "We'll fix it after it breaks" seems to be the prevailing philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! You're doing it so right, the proper, healthy, relaxed attitude. Which I think will help you succeed in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no posts since April, did u die?
    i'm a nudist & visit your blog sometimes.

    Just eat healthy like Jennifer Moss!

    mostly anything that did not come off an original species plant is unhealthy

    ReplyDelete