Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Coexistence of Health and Body Image Issues

Recently I mentioned that an article in a past issue of N Magazine had prompted me to not only think about the health issues involved in being overweight but had motivated me to act. I also promised to provide updates from time to time and today I will deliver with the first update. It has now been almost three weeks since I committed to trying to eat more healthfully and started attempting to become more active on a consistent basis.

The "Before" Evidence

The image I chose to illustrate this article is a side view of yours truly, taken nearly three weeks ago when I weighed 206 pounds. Easily evident is the fact that I had a generous amount of belly fat. Thus far, I have managed to lose just under 10 pounds and while it will yet be a while before I am ready to provide an "after" photograph, a similar image to this one taken today would already show a noticeable change. No, I am not now the proud owner of six-pack abs but as a look in my mirror reveals, my belly does not protrude today to the extent shown in this image.

The Value of Body Image Acceptance


As I have stated previously, the principle of body image acceptance, espoused by nudists is I think one of the most valuable and healthful perspectives we possess. Yet I have now come to embrace the idea that health and fitness issues can and should be able to peacefully coexist with the issue of body image. The potential developing some very serious health problems is great among those of us who are significantly overweight. That fact has been well documented scientifically and medically. Thus being physically unfit and significantly overweight is a great deal more than just an aesthetic issue. I have no inclination to lose weight, make healthier food choices or become more fit because I want to either achieve some unrealistic media generated body ideal or to become more attractive to others when I appear nude socially. I am motivated to do those things however to avoid the possibles of contracting diabetes, hypertension or heart disease.

The Perspectives of Others

Nudists accept ourselves and others irrespective of body type and size. This is foundational to who we are as a culture. Yet it is an inescapable fact that those outside our lifestyle do judge us as individuals and to great extent base their opinions on nudists in general by physical appearance. One of the greatest criticisms of nudists by non-nudists is that we are predominately an aged, overweight, unfit and unattractive group. An article I read, Nude Cruises Need an Image Makeover, illustrates this point.

I am not advocating the improvement of our physical appearances to pander to the opinions of others but the fact remains, if we want to change attitudes and attract more people to nudism, we are likely as a culture going to have to embrace our historical roots. There is no denying the fact that health and fitness were part and parcel of the North American nudist movement when it began. I think we can agree to live a healthy lifestyle and keep our weight in check and still remain true to our core belief in body acceptance.

No Radical Changes Necessary

For those with whom this discussion might resonate, you may be curious about exactly what it would take to drop a few pounds and to improve physical fitness. Based on my own experiences during the first few weeks, I have honestly not had to make any what I would consider radical changes to move towards a more healthful lifestyle. I am neither strarving myself or totally forgoing my favorite foods. I have not joined a fitness club. Here is a summary of what I have done.
  • Started counting calories and following a 500 calorie a day deficit plan.
  • Eating less high calorie fast foods.
  • Switched from drinking regular beer to light beer.
  • Reduced the amount of cola I consume.
  • Started an exercise regimen which is predominatly simply a 30 minute walk at least five days each week.

As can be seen, I have not taken up some fad diet, haven't started hitting the gym 8 hours a day, have not given up beer which I promise I have no intention of doing or really made any drastic changes at all. The changes I have made are actually very minimal and easily accomplished. I've become a bit more educated about food so that I can avoid those things that have way too many calories in them to be healthy, have become more aware of what I put into my body and committed about 2-1/2 hours a week to exercise (less than 1-1/2 percent of the 168 hours a week we all have available). In return I have lost a few pounds, feel better and more energetic and look a little better to myself in the mirror. If achieving a healthier weight and reducing the size of my belly makes me a better ambassador for nudism then that is just icing on the proverbial cake.

3 comments:

  1. Great article. I took up naturism last summer as part of my life and health remodelling. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't look at my unclothed body in front of a mirror. Now, 35 pounds lighter, and off of my BP meds, not only can I view my true mirror image, but I fell like a new human.

    Keep up the good work - and look me up at the upcoming Sahnoans 5K Bare Buns run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, third try on writing a comment... :)
    Excellent post! You inspired me to write one on my blog.
    I like the body positive attitude. It's much better than treating your body as an obstacle in the way of the "perfect body".
    Keep up the good work, both with the blog and your new healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on losing 10 pounds! I hit 215 two years ago and I'm down to 174 now. Then I was diagnosed as prediabetic and since diabetes runs in my family, I began limiting my carbohydrates and quickly noticed I was losing weight. By cutting down on carbs, I was also cutting out a lot of extra calories. My favorite junk snacks and colas have been eliminated from my diet. I'm still working on the exercise part but I am doing yoga at least 4 days a week.

    I see body acceptance as a first step, not an end in itself. Acceptance should not necessarily imply satisfaction. If we promoted nudism and naturism as healthy lifestyles and strived to become healthier, it can only help us.

    ReplyDelete