Thursday, May 21, 2009

From the Mailbag

Recently, it has been more than gratifying that readers have taken the time to post comments to a few of my recent posts. One of my primary goals in beginning this blog was to stimulate dialogue and the exchange of ideas so each and every comment received is deeply appreciated. In spite of healthy hit counts, I would feel this whole endeavor was likely a colossal waste of time if nothing I wrote was found worthy of comment. It occurred to me as I read the comment below, that I have been remiss in responding as evidence of the fact that I do value and appreciate comments being posted. So I will try to remedy that today, by examining this one.

Anonymous said...

Dealing with dead links is, indeed, frustrating. When I became a nudist, I had an activist mindset, as well. All I got from it was a lot of frustration over the fact that our society is a bunch of "six-year-olds who scream and giggle if they see pee-pee parts" (quote from Real Time with Bill Maher-On France). As for your call to organize, it appears as though you're trying to turn nudism into another avenue for herd conformity. I'm a nudist, not a sheep. Adopt a live-and-let-live mindset and save your sanity.

First, I can appreciate the perspective of this commenter and do get it when it comes to the advice offered. It is in fact a common response from many of the naturists and nudists that I have been privileged to talk with. Naturism and nudism are to a great extent about personal freedoms and so I understand what was meant by the objection registered, “…it appears as though you're trying to turn nudism into another avenue for herd conformity. I'm a nudist, not a sheep.” Still, this comment and similar comments I have received during conversations with other nudists smacks of “accept the status quo.” At this point, I just find myself resistant to that idea because I happen to believe change can occur when there are enough people who are dissatisfied with the status quo and want change. It is certainly far easier to take the path of least resistance and continue with business as usual, but that is such an unpalatable concept for me.

Yes, I do promote the idea of organizing naturists and nudists for the purpose of creating a unified group to oppose anti-nudism but far from trying to create a flock of “sheep”, my intent is to empower nudists everywhere to seize the day and as an identifiable, cohesive group, to become the catalyst for needed change. Becoming a unified group who possesses a degree of political power and the ability to impact our own destinies, doesn’t make us “sheep” anymore than a group of Infantry soldiers who together are organized and trained to become a cohesive, effective small combat unit are sheep. They become an efficient, mutually supportive group of individuals, fit to resist threats to their common mission and goals. The same concept could be achieved by melding the individuals involved in naturism and nudism into a cohesive, effective and mutually supporting group.

I am not big on labeling, but given that we are saddled with the terms, I tend to identify more with the concept of “naturist” than “nudist” because at least to me there are important differences between the two terms. If I ever come to the place that I accept that naturists and nudists simply are unwilling to organize and present a unified front and that the majority wants to accept the status quo and are unwilling to do what needs to be done to effect change, then I’m quite certain that I will retire from organized social nudity and return to individual pursuits like free-hiking and the enjoyment of natural hot springs in remote backcountry areas as I once did, rather than allow the “moral” majority to dictate to me that I must restrict my expression of my naturists beliefs and practices to remote slivers of beaches that clothed society has no interest in utilizing and to expensive private gated resorts so that I don’t risk “offending” anyone who might object to being exposed to the nude human body. I would do so in the belief that those who refuse to make any effort to change their lot don’t deserve to have their rights respected and protected.

A big part of me can’t help but exult over the fact that the founding fathers of our nation weren’t path of least resistance types and that they rejected any notion of accepting the status quo. Thankfully, they, to borrow the immortal words of JFK during his inaugural address, were willing to, “…pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” It isn’t organizing as a group that makes sheep of people; it is refusing to take a stand, enduring the dictates of the self-appointed, dictatorial “moral compasses” in our society that are intolerant of social nudity and accepting the status quo that makes sheep of us. A minority community of sheep begets a majority community of wolves and sheep deserve to be sheared. No, accepting the status quo isn’t individualism…it’s just plain old mutton!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for responding to my comment.

    I understand where you are coming from. As a person who hates herd mentalites, I just get uneasy when I hear someone call for organization; my sheep detector kicks on and I immediately go on defense. Especially when the call is followed by "spend money on this and that." Not that I refuse to support organizations. I just don't have the means to do so right now. I meant no ill will towards you.

    As for the status quo, we don't condone it, by any means. For some, it may very well be "I give up." While that mentality does enable the status quo, it doesn't mean that the person in question condones it. For others (like me), we've just run out of new ideas (emphasis on new). The nudist community has dealt with the status quo for years, but it seems as though we haven't made much headway (as far as laws are concerned); only small skirmishes here and there. I focus on laws because I believe we've hammered philosophy, ethics, sexuality, and the like into the ground. What can we say that hasn't already been said for years? Every legitimate nudist website gets buried by adult-oriented sites, is given a content warning by the webmaster (as you have noticed with your blog), or the originator abandons it. As I wrote in my e-mail to you, we also have a problem with wilfull ignorance on the part of the "moral" majority; they're wearing earplugs and won't listen to us. How do you suppose we rip those earplugs out? Yelling will only make us appear obnoxious and do further harm to our already-sketchy image. And I'm sure you're well aware of the sex-obsessed media.

    So, other than spending money on organizations, launching websites that only other nudists will access, and printing magazines that only other nudists will read (and aren't available on newsstands everywhere), what other ways are there? Debates and educational shows on TV during primetime? Maybe. Protests? You've already dealt with that issue. Putting a nudist in the Whitehouse? Only if the candidate keeps it a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an addendum to my previous comment.

    For the second paragraph of your post (the one that starts with "I'm not big on labeling..."), you make it sound like (1) all hope is gone, and (2) it's the fault of the disorganized. Being passionate is one thing, but to point the finger at those who don't conform to you and start blaming them for all the losses on the nudist community score card is another! Low move, man! Low move!

    For the final paragraph of your post (the one that starts with "A big part of me..."), I can't help but notice that the overtone seems to be one of those 'with-us-or-against-us' stances. I guess it's join the fight or end up on the blacklist, right? If so, start sharpening your shears.

    It's true: there's no debating with an extremist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason the "moral majority" is successful is because they are well organized, very vocal, and have acquired a considerable amount of political influence. And they are not a "majority." Granted, they need herd mentality to peddle their ignorance but that shouldn't imply that nudists shouldn't be better organized and more active in promoting their common interests. No one else is going to do it.

    I, too, hate herd mentalities but organization is necessary to accomplish anything worthwhile. I think General George S. Patton said it best: "If everyone is thinking the same, then nobody is thinking."

    ReplyDelete